This past week I was honored and beyond thrilled to be accepted to become a Sweat Pink Ambassador with Fit Approach. Fit Approach is a community that promotes female fitness through an online community of websites and blogs (like mine!) I got to place this fancy “sweat pink
badge on my side bar (look to the bottom if you are on the mobile version) and am charged with spread their awesome message of fitness and fun. No, my blog will not only be about fitness and my love of running, but it’s always been a theme and now I have a better platform for sharing 🙂
This week’s Top Ten list is running themed. If you are an expert or novice runner (or someplace in between like me) then you probably have essentials you need for your workouts. That’s the nice thing about being a runner, is that there’s little monetary investment to partake in your choice of fitness, unlike joining a gym. I do own a treadmill which is obviously more costly, but thankfully my hubby’s company partially reimburses us for fitness equipment purchases. A treadmill for me is a great tool, because with three kids and a hubby that works a lot, sometimes I don’t get the pleasure of running outside!
So without further a-do, here are my Top Ten Running Essentials:
1. An awesome running playlist. My blogging and RL friend Courtney with What’s Up With the Wilhelms shared her awesome playlist here and lots of those songs I like, but I’m a strange runner and I can’t run to only upbeat songs, I need a variety and many medium paced songs to run too, like Lana De La Rey, Arcade Fire and Death Cab for Cutie. That’s just my style. I find I’ll run too fast and get tired if I only have pop-ey type songs. No matter what you listen to, music is a must. Once I had forgotten to charge my ipod and it stopped working so I turned around and ran home.
2. The right shoe. I get fitted for my shoes at my local Fleet Feet. They are awesome and customer service is incredible. Yes, there shoes are expensive, but this is the only REAL purchase you need to make to be a runner. Running in poorly fit shoes is not smart. You will not run well and probably injure yourself. Did you know that your running shoes are probably bigger than your regular shoe size? I’m normally an 8 and I wear a size 10 running shoe! No joke! But having 3 pregnancies has made my feet flatten out a bit, so I need more room in there. If you want to be a runner, get fitted so you know what style and size shoe to get. You won’t regret it.
3. An arm band and headphones. On suggestion of one of my friends, I recently got a new arm band and I love it!
Not only is it adorable and pink, but it’s soft and had a nice fit. It fits my iphone 5 perfectly. I got it on Amazon. Headphone are a must as well, but I’m embarrassed to say I don’t have fancy running headphones yet. I would like to buy some soon. Currently I am using the ones that came with my phone and they are ok for now.
4. My hand held water bottle: I need water when I run, especially in the summer time. I haven’t tried one of those belts yet but I may in the future. Right now, I am in love with my Amphipod water bottle.
Mine is purple and I love it. It holds just enough water to wet my pallet while running and has a pocket zipper thing that can hold my keys and a chew if I needed it to. Here’s where you can get this bottle online.
5. My favorite running app, Nike +.
There are lots of great running app’s out there but this one is my favorite. It streams well with social media, allows to you set goals for yourself or challenges with friends and also keeps a running record of how many miles you’ve ran with it. It’s awesome. A good app is an essential tool for training as well.
6. My sunglasses and chapstick: Can’t run without them! Also, lotion on my hands, if my hands are dry, I can’t concentrate. Strange, I know.
7. A good stretch before and after. I had a major IT band injury last year and it was the most painful thing I have ever gone through, yes more painful than childbirth! So, I have learned my lesson and now make sure to do a good stretch before and afterwards, and when I am running longer distances, I use my foam roller as well. That thing is a god-send, trust me!
8. The right temperature outside. I cannot, and I mean cannot run when it’s too hot. It makes me just feel like I am going to die. Maybe it’s the fact that my body has never acclimated itself to the hot weather here. In the warm months, which is almost always, I like to run either really early or after the peas are in bed. It’s never too cold for a run though, I love cold weather running!
9. Energy Chews, sometimes. If I am running a long run, like training for a half, then I like to use the Clif Bar Chews.
They are yummy and don’t make my stomach churn like some of those gels do :/ I don’t use these for a regular run though, just a longer one.
10. Cute running tech clothes. In a perfect world, all of my running clothes would be from Lululemon, just because they are so adorable, but they are also so expensive. Normally my go-to is Old Navy or Target. They both have great prices and Old Navy has some really cute stuff. I have to start school clothes shopping for the kids soon so I may pick myself up a cute running top, or outfit for that matter, when I’m there.
Like how cute is this tank??? I like how it’s loose on the bottom, I cannot stand when tops are too tight, yuck. I also try to stay away from too much thick cotton, I either like the tech wiking material or a thin breathable cotton combo. It helps me stay cool and also look cute 🙂
So there are my top ten running essentials. Do you have anything to add? Let me know below!