My kids attend a year-round school so we get 3 weeks off in the fall, two in the winter and spring and 7 in the summer. This means we only have two weeks of school left! I’ll be thinking of gifts for my kids teachers and wanted to share some suggestions of things that your kids teachers REALLY want, and some things that they do not. Now, obviously I can’t speak for all teachers, but having taught for 7 years and knowing PLENTY of teachers, I think I have a pretty good grasp on what they want and probably what they do not.
Use this handy list when you are shopping for your children’s teachers so you don’t give a lame gift. You child’s teacher worked hard with your child ALL year! They deserve something nice! Nice doesn’t have to be expensive though, we all are on a budget and when you have multiple kids in school (like I do) things can add up quick so don’t feel the need to overdue it!
Great gift ideas
– gift cards (think: target, any restaurant, starbucks, barnes and noble- you can’t go wrong here!)
– basket of books for their classroom
– wine! (seriously! but make sure you hand deliver it, and not your kid!)
– a “spa” themed basket (maybe a new nail polish, foot cream, and a new magazine to read)
– Candles (from a nice company, go neutral on the smell if you aren’t sure what they like)
– desk supplies (post it notes, pretty to-do sheets, colored pens)
– homemade things for their classroom (like a pretty sign to hang, cute pencil holder- think classy and not quirky)
– homemade things for their home (one year I made a pretty yard wreath for my kids teachers- they loved them!)
– food basket (think: a “pasta” night or “movie” night- store bought it best unless your teacher knows you well, then you can go homemade- if your child’s teacher hasn’t seen you all year, odds are they won’t touch it!)
– a pretty tote or bag
– reusable cups (this one can be tricky- if you don’t know what they like, avoid this!)
– pretty personalized clip board
Not so great gift ideas
– giant pictures of your kids- yes, they loved having your kid in class but they are not THEIR kid
– strange smelling lotions (stick to neutral scents if you are unsure what they like or avoid this all together)
– homemade foods from an unknown home
– an ugly mug
– any kind of stuffed animal
– any kind of figurine
– any kind of “apple” themed thing (once I did get a large crystal apple that was like a candy dish with a kid and I did like that!)
There you have it! Some great and not-so-great ideas for your child’s teacher. When it comes to teachers, it’s the thought that definitely counts. We all have received our fair share of handmade kids gifts and do love them, but if you REALLY want to get your child’s teacher something they will love think about something they would want as a person, not just a teacher!
What’s your favorite gift to give a teacher?