Summer is in full force and that means more outside play and higher temperatures, which also means more opportunities for kids to get hurt- especially when it comes to summer sports! Keeping my kids safe is my top priority so that’s why I am very vigilent of how and what they are playing, but I still want them to have fun and be kids too. It can be a hard finding the right balance between being a “helicopter mom” and a “free range parent”. To me, it’s about teaching my kids the right way to do something and giving them the tools to be safe, but still allowing them to explore and play, with me keeping an eye on them from a safe distance. Did you know that more than 2.6 million children are treated in the emergency department each year for sports and recreation-related injuries? Yea, yikes is right! I’ll keep trying my very best to avoid having my kids be one of those numbers, and these simple summer safety tips for kids are for sure helping to keep them healthy and happy, and injury-free, all summer long.
Obviously summer=hot and too much sun is never a good thing. All throughout the summer I am sure to apply sunscreen on my kids and keep them covered up if necessary. Here are some other ways to help keep your kids safe from the summer sun:
– apply enough sunblock and reapply often
– wear hats when playing in the sun
– cover your skin if necessary to avoid getting too much exposure
– drink plenty of water, especially if your kids are engaging in summer sports like soccer or lacross, so they stay hydrated and don’t risk getting sun stroke.
Most kids absolutely love the water and so water safety should be at the very top of every parent’s to do list during the summer time. Here are some ways to keep your kids safe in and around the water:
– Invest in swimming lessons for your kids. They are so important in showing your kids how to do swim so they can not only have more fun in the pool or the beach but also help to keep them safer
– Stay an arm’s length away from all non swimmers around the water- always!
– Invest in the right floaties for your non-swimmers. I am a personal fan of Puddle Jumpers- they are more secure and one of the only coast guard approved types of floaties.
Playing out in the yard is always fun, but there are dangers even out there. Keep your kids safe with these simple tips:
– Unless you have older kids, take turns with another parent keeping an eye out on the kids when they are playing outside.
– When playing sports, be sure to have the right gear and follow the rules of the game. This way everyone can have fun and there are less chances of injury.
– Remind them to look both ways when they are crossing the street and to never run out between parked cars.
– Kids younger than 8 should be crossing with an adult or an older kid- cars have trouble seeing kids younger than that.
– Always practice bike safety by wearing helmets, no matter what. My kids know no helmet, no bike- always. This is never a rule I slack on.
– Apply bug spray and do tick checks if your kids are playing in the trees or high grass.
– Keep an eye out for dangerous plants, like cactus or poison ivy (depending on where you live!)
– Be safe on the playground and watch little ones closely.
One of the best parts of summer is vacations! Keep you kids safe on the road by practicing these rules:
– SEATBELTS- ALWAYS!!!
– Make sure your child is in the right seat for them, no switching to a booster too soon.
– Put blankets OVER the seatbelt and no under it, to ensure they are fitting properly.
– NEVER, EVER leave your kids in the car when it’s warm out (or ever!!!)
No matter how much you plan though, kids will be kids and accidents do happen. These surprise accidents can lead to some hefty bills even if you do have insurance, which is why getting supplemental insurance can be a smart move. For six decades, Aflac has been a power player and trusted name in the insurance business. Alfac’s different supplemental insurance policies, such as accident, critical illness and cancer, can help protect workers and families from high out-of-pocket costs that major medical insurance was never designed to cover.
Accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere and Aflac’s supplemental policies are designed to help you cover these unexpected costs quickly. So quickly in fact, that they often can receive, process, approve and disburse payment for eligible claims in one business day with their innovative One Day PaySM initiative. One day- isn’t that amazing? These types of extra insurances are so important for families with small children and active families- since when you are having fun is when you are the highest risk! You can learn all about Aflac’s policies on their website or on Facebook.
So, be smarter this summer and help keep your family safe with these summer safety tips- and be prepared if an accident does happen with Aflac’s supplemental insurance. You’ll never regret having that!
What are your tips for keeping kids safe in the summer time while still allowing them to have FUN?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.