I love the classic combo of Peanut Butter and Jelly because, honestly, who doesn’t?? It reminds me of being a kid and eating at school with my friends. I love trying new recipes with these tried and true flavors in them, like these smoothie, cookies and energy bites recipes, but this time I wanted to try a muffin! These Peanut Butter and Jelly muffins are so yummy and pretty decent for you too. They make a nice protein packed after school snack or even a quick breakfast paired with some fruit. They are so easy to make too!
I’m not the only one who loves the combination of Peanut Butter and Jelly though, my kids go nuts for it! I always have a jar of Jif Peanut Butter and Smucker’s Squeeze Strawberry Fruit Spread around and figured turning them into some yummy muffins would be great for those busy mornings or hectic afternoons between school and practices when my kids are hungry for a snack.
I grabbed these two at Target last week (because I’m there every week anyways!) and saved extra using my Cartwheel app too! If you don’t have it and love Target like I do, then the Cartwheel app is for you. It’s an app that offers extra savings for all sorts of items at Target, including Jif Peanut Butter and Smucker’s Fruit Spreads which are an extra 5% off till January 21.
These Peanut Butter and Jelly muffins are easy to make and have three layers to them: the muffin part, the middle jam part and the crunchy crumble on top. They are a denser muffin and you can either line them with cupcake liners or just spray the pan they are cooking in instead. Either way, they are delicious!!
This recipe is a great one for kids to help with too since it’s so easy to whip up, I know my girls loved helping me make (and eat!) these yummy muffins.
- for the muffins:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup Jif Natural Peanut Butter (I used crunchy)
- 3 tablespoons natural apple sauce
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup milk
- 12 ounces Smucker's Strawberry jelly
- for the crumb topping:
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the butter and peanut butter together in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, stirring it well. If the entire mixture is not melted, microwave for 15 more second, stirring well.
- Set aside to cool and then mix in the brown sugar and apple sauce, stirring it well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
- Line a muffin tin with liners and spray the liners with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Then, stir in the butter and peanut butter, mixing until smooth - the batter will be slightly thick.
- Add in the dry ingredients and stir until almost combined (it will be very thick) then add in the milk and stir until a batter forms, trying not to overmix.
- For the crumb topping you will want to whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, salt and melted butter until combined and then add in the flour. The mixture will be thick and crumb-like.
- Fill the liners ½ of the way full then add a tablespoon or so of the strawberry jelly into the center of the batter, pushing it into the middle, then add some crumb topping to each to cover the jelly.
- Bake the muffins for 19 to 22 minutes and let cook before trying to remove the muffins from the pan.
Yummy, right?? They look as good as they taste and have been a huge hit in my house! So next time you are at Target, grab come Jif Peanut Butter (crunchy or smooth) and Smucker’s Squeeze Strawberry Jelly and make your kids some of these Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins for an after school treat!