I love meals that are simple, tasty and don’t cause me to have to wash my whole kitchen after I’m done cooking them. This one pan baked lemon chicken & veggies checks all three boxes. It’s simple to make, only uses one pan and tastes amazing! Perfect on it’s own with a salad or serve it with a potato or side of pasta and you can call it dinner. My kids eat it too- so that’s the real victory.
The secret to this chicken is the before step. Ever have Thanksgiving over someone’s house and their turkey is AMAZING? Like, so juicy and just delicious? Chances are, they brined it first. Brining is the process of soaking the meat in a salty water fora while before it’s cooked. Brining really lets the meal become super tender and flavorful. I don’t brine often just since it’s takes a “before” step that sometimes I don’t have time for. For this dish, though, I thought I’d try it out and see how it was.
Oh boy was I glad I did! by brining these chicken breasts for a few hours a head of time, it made all the difference in the world. I decided to brine them early in the morning and let sit in the fridge until I was ready to cook, but I think even 15 minutes would make a difference. To brine the chicken, fill a large bowl with warm water and about 1/4 cup salt and soak the breasts for at least 15 minutes, or up to overnight, then you’ll be ready to bake.
I used zucchini, asparagus and onion for my veggies, but you could use any you wish. To make this final dish, you just brine the chicken, add in the veggies and cover it with the sauce- then bake and you are done! So simple, right?
- for the brine:
- ¼ cup salt
- warm water
- for the chicken:
- 3-4 chicken breasts, pounded out to speed baking
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- any veggies you wish, I uses asparagus, sliced zucchini and while onion
- Begin by pounding out the chicken and brining it in a large bowl with warm water and ¼ cup salt.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Make the sauce by mixing the melted butter, garlic, lemon juice and spices in a small bowl.
- Spray a 9x12 in pan with non stick spray, add in the chicken, veggies and then pour the sauce over it. Stir it around so the chicken and veggies are completely coated.
- Bake for 5 minutes then brush the chicken with the sauce in the pan.
- Bake for 5 more minutes and then brush the chicken again.
- Bake for 8-10 more minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked, basting if you wish.
- Serve immediately.
I served this chicken with my one pot lemon garlic pasta and whoa did they go GREAT together! They were all so lemony and juicy and I couldn’t believe how much my kids ate of both, and that really says a lot for my kids! You may want to make extra of this chicken because it stores well and would make a great addition to a salad for the next day’s lunch.