Now that back to school is in full swing I am working on getting back on track with my healthy lifestyle, which means squeezing in some sort of workout everyday and watching what I eat. Soup has always been one of my favorite meals, especially around this time of year when the temperatures are cooling off. Soups are a great lunch option for when you are trying to watch your weight since they will fill you up and are lower in calories- as long as you prepare them correctly! This lighter broccoli cheese soup is the perfect fall soup that is low carb and low in calories and thanks to my new Reynolds™ Disposable Heat & Eat containers, they can be heated up easily for lunches for the whole week!
Even though I am home some days during the week, other times I am subbing, so it’s important to me to have healthy lunch options I can gran and eat quick. One batch of the soup will make lunches for me for the whole week and with my Reynolds™ Disposable Heat & Eat containers, I can heat them up quickly and with no fuss.
These containers can be bought at Walmart in the food storage aisle, with the baggies and tin foil. They are easy to heat up in and made of plant fibers so they are ideal for using in the microwave. They are heat and leak resistant and make clean up a breeze! Each container also comes with a BPA-free, recyclable plastic lid that snaps shut so you don’t have to worry about taking them to and from work.
This lighter broccoli and cheese soup is the perfect meal to reheat in my containers. It doesn’t take too long to make or heat up and is so filling! Most broccoli and cheese soups are heavy and laden with fatty cream- but not this soup. It doesn’t have any milk or cream in it and is mostly veggies- but don’t be deceived, it’s thick and creamy even without it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1½ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot. Add in garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add in carrots and cook for 5 more minutes until they are soft.
- Add in the chopped broccoli and cauliflower, stock and spices, bring to a boil and then turn down, cover and let simmer until soft, around 20 minutes.
- Once the broccoli and cauliflower is soft, use an immersion blender and blend your soup until it's the consistency you want. Finally add in the cheese and any additional salt and pepper to taste.
Thanks to these Reynolds™ Disposable Heat & Eat containers, warming up my soup is super easy- but they aren’t just limited to soup! My husband often works late, so these are great for storing his dinner in so he can heat up the leftovers when he gets home at night. They heat up evenly, quickly and without any fuss. Check out more heat & eat recipes on Reynolds Kitchen.