Today I am going to share one of my FAVORITE ways to serve pasta: with a lemon sauce! This sauce is so light and perfect for hot summer days. Best of all, my kids LOVE it. It’s delicious and crazy easy to make.
1 garlic clove, diced
2 T butter or Olive Oil
the juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 c. chicken stock
1 1/2 t. basil, dried
salt, pepper to taste
1 t. cornstarch and a few drops of water
whatever pasta you wish! (I used Ronzoni Garden Delight)
– Begin your pasta water in a large pot. Don’t forget to salt your water!
– Chop and sauté the garlic. Melt the butter in a large sauté pan and sauté the garlic for 1-2 minutes. Don’t let it burn! Add the fresh lemon juice.
– Add the stock to the pan and bring it to a boil. (*We make our own stock. It’s SO easy! We’ll roast a whole chicken once a month for dinner and then make a stock with the bones and a variety of veggies and herbs. We freeze the stock flat in quart freezer bags and thaw when we need fresh stock! It has such a great flavor and you can control the amount of salt you use.)
– After adding the stock, let it simmer for 6-8 minutes.
– While the sauce is simmering, cook your pasta 2-3 minutes LESS than it’s instructed cooking time. This is because you are going to finish cooking it in the sauce.
– These noodles are yum and have a little extra nutrition in them since they are vegetable based. They are also a “reddish” color, which the kids like.
– Right before the noodles are ready to be added, mix your cornstarch and a few drops of water in a small bowl together. Whisk it until it’s dissolved. Add the cornstarch mix to your sauce and whisk it for a minute so it thickens up. Add some salt and pepper to taste (you probably won’t need much salt because it’s stock based)
– Drain the noodles and add them to the sauce. Let them cook together on a low simmer for 2-3 minutes or a bit longer if you want them more tender.
– Serve with parmesan cheese on top.
I also grilled up some chicken with just some garlic salt, pepper, and basil and served it with the pasta. You can easily make this a meatless dish though! It’s very yummy and has a nice, light taste. My kids always eat it up, so that’s a huge plus!