This week I took a trip to the natural grocery store and my kids were craving pizza! Pizza? Out of all of those amazing foods they wanted pizza! Well, some battles aren’t worth fighting over so I decided this night we would make a nice homemade sauce and make some individual whole grain English muffin pizzas. This way, everyone could choose their own toppings and be happy.
I love making my own sauces, especially when there is extra and you can make some extra for another day. This recipes makes enough sauce for 3 pizzas, use one right away and freeze the other two for when your kids have a craving for pizza.
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- ½ diced organic yellow onion, diced
- 1 sm. shallot, diced
- 2-14 oz. cans diced organic tomatoes
- 2 T. organic tomato paste
- 1 t. parsley
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 t. basil
- 1 bayleaf
- dash of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee the onion, garlic and shallot in the olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and all the spices.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, until sauce is thick.
- Blend with an immersion blender, adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, can be stored in the fridge or in the freezer.
Have you ever made your own pizza sauce? What do you add? I’m always looking for new variations on an old favorite!