Last week I split a large produce on wheels order with a friend and received a BUNCH of veggies, unfortunately some that were a little on the ripe side so I wanted to use some away. With some of the zucchini I baked these Chocolate Chip Zucchini muffins but then I wanted to make some pasta sauce that I could freeze for dinners.
I decided to make some hearty sauce that was full of big bites of veggies, it just felt that it would be prefect for a cold winter night! For this sauce, I used onions, garlic, zucchini, summer squash, red peppers, carrots and tomatoes, of course. There’s so much goodness in the sauce, it’s not even funny!
I was home so I let my sauce simmer for over 2 hours. It made the house smell ahhh-mazing! I suppose you could totally make this in the crock pot as well, I would just do it on low for like 6-8 hours. The longer you cook it, the more the veggies will break down and the less chunks you will have.
This was after it had simmered for about 2 and a half hours. If it’s a little too thick for your tastes, you could add in a little vegetable stock or use your immersion blender to break some of the bigger pieces up.
The zucchini stayed fairly intact but everything else pretty much broke down. I used whole tomatoes and also a pint of cherry tomatoes so I had some of the tomato skin in it, which doesn’t bother me, but if you don’t like that you could sub canned diced or whole tomatoes for your sauce instead.
This was how much sauce I got from this recipes, which would be about four dinner’s worth- not too shabby! I used one that night and froze the other jars for another night. The sauce went awesome with some baked eggplant parm I made from MORE veggies from that order!
Do you ever get large bulk orders of produce? What do you make with the stuff that needs to be eaten right away?
- ¼ c olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, diced
- 8 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 2 red peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 summer squash, peeled and diced
- 2 zucchini, peeled and diced\
- 1 T basil
- 1 t thyme
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T parsley
- ½ T garlic powder
- ¼ t red pepper flakes
- ½ T pepper
- 1½ T salt
- ½ c veggie stock, if desired
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add in the onion and garlic and let cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the diced carrots and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add in the remaining veggies and spices and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook 2- 2½ hours, the longer the less big pieces you'll have.
- Add in some vegetable stock at the end if desired to thin slightly.