The other day, I split a Produce on Wheels order with a friend where you pay $10 and get a boat-load of fresh produce. I love lots of veggies, but it’s hard to eat them all so I decided to turn some into a few delicious recipes right away. I love zucchini, but my kids don’t always, (especially my son!) so I figured I’d “hide” some in muffins that also had something he really loves: chocolate chips! So these Zucchini Chocolate Chip muffins were born!
When prepping the zucchini for these muffins, you want to shred it, not stick it in the food processor. Because of it’s high water content, it gets real liquidy and will mess up the texture of your muffins. If you shred it, they turn out nice and fluffy!
The good thing is that the zucchini has such a mild flavor that you can’t even taste it once it’s cooked! Especially with the chocolate chips, they flavor of the veggies just melt away and alls you taste is sweet muffins.
These muffins are great for an after school treat or really even for breakfast with some fruit and yogurt! Honestly, your kids won’t even know that there’s 3 zucchinis baked in them!
What’s your favorite “hidden veggie” recipe?
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ t cinnamon
- 1 t salt
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 T baking soda
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 3 c flour
- ¼ c milk
- 2½ c shredded zucchini (about 3 medium zucchinis)
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350. Line two muffin trays with muffin paper liners
- Mix together the eggs and sugar, add in the vanilla and oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and slowly add it into the sugar mix.
- Slowly add in the milk and combine.
- By hand, fold in the zucchini and then the chocolate chips and divide even among the cupcake pan.
- bake for 20-25 minutes at 350, makes 24 muffins