I am always on the hunt for ways to sneak in some “healthiness” into my kids snacks. After searching my pantry for some ingredients, I decided to put these bars together, and they were a huge hit! My kids love them and they are perfect for an after school snack and even hold well in a lunch box. They are low in sugar and full of healthy oats and some secret flax seed. Shhhhhh, I won’t tell if you don’t!
These bars can be whipped up in no time using ingredients you probably have on hand. They hold well in the fridge and I’d image they’d freeze well too! Just don’t tell the kids they are healthy, so else you may get some noses turned up at you.
- ½ c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 2½ c. old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ c. organic flax seed
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ¼ c. organic, natural apple sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick spray.
- Cream butter and sugar together until well combined.
- On a low speed, add in flour and oats.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix till all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spread batter in the pan. For an extra sweet crunch, sprinkle some brown sugar on top before baking.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Cut into bars and serve or refrigerate.
I hope your kids love these as much as mine do! They have a nice, soft taste to them, which seems to be more appealing to kids- at least mine anyways!