The other day I was at a party and I had my first tastes of a quinoa salad. It had an asian flavor profile to it and was delicious. I honestly don’t know why I hadn’t ever thought of using quinoa this way, we have been eating it for years but always just the traditional way, like rice. This quinoa salad was so fresh, yummy and filling. It was healthy too! I left still thinking of it so this weekend I decided to try to make some myself, and was deliciously surprised at the results! This black bean quinoa salad is so yummy, light and is perfect for summer.
The thing I love about this salad is how versatile it is. It’s good warm, room temperature or chilled. It’s great as a side, appetizer or a main dish- and it’s “clean”, if you will, only being made with fresh ingredients and is extremely good for you, in my opinion!
This salad is chock full of healthy stuff: black beans, corn, bell peppers, spinach and peaches combined with quinoa and tossed in a light homemade orange vinaigrette. It’s the perfect dish for bringing to a picnic or BBQ, or just eating after the kids go to bed like I did.
The only cooking that is needed is the quinoa, which I like to prepare with half water and half homemade chicken stock for some added flavor. I can image that fish stock or veggie stock would be just as good.
The homemade vinaigrette is only made with 5 ingredients and is just as good on a regular salad as it is on here. Orange juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil mix with a little bit of sugar and some red pepper flakes for added spice to make the most simple dressing ever- and it’s SO good.
- 1 cup quinoa, prepared to package directions
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- ½ cup corn
- 1 peach, diced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ½ small onion, diced
- Orange Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Prepare the vinaigrette by mixing the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, I like to use one cup water and one cup chicken stock to make mine.
- Combine chopped veggies and peach in a large bowl, add in rinsed beans and quinoa when it's cooked. Toss with the vinaigrette and serve either warm or chilled after being in the fridge for awhile.
So simple, right? I couldn’t stop eating this after I made it. Only one of my kid’s would try it, but one out of three isn’t too bad! More for me then I guess. Now that I am in love with this salad, I am going to try and make a few other kinds. I’m thinking something with a little Mexican flavor or maybe Greek? I think both would be awesome.