Summer is here and that means it’s time to get outside and be active! In this modern age, it’s so easy to be distracted by technology and not be outside as much, but we all know how important it is to power down and get into the great outdoors. If you are trying to make some healthy chances in your life, they are best done in small and simple steps- and it’s even better when they are fun and done with people you love! United HealthCare is celebrating these healthy steps with some health dares: small changes to be the best YOU you can be. One of the easiest changes to make is to get outside with your family and be active so to make it easy, I’ve gathered 9 fun and healthy family summertime activities to get everyone out and moving!
Getting healthy is easy when you take small and measurable steps. Involving your family is one way to make sure that everyone is building healthy habits that will last a lifetime. It’s so important to be a good role model for your kids growing up by being active and eating right, so they will carry that into when they are grown ups and have their own kids! Here are 9 fun activities you can do outside that are family friendly:
1. Go hiking
2. Try out Geocaching
3. Family swim time
4. Sign up for a family 5k (even if you walk it!)
5. Plant a garden
6. Go on a family bike ride
7. Play some traditional games like tag, capture the flag or kick the can
8. Go on a scavenger hunt and collect items from nature
9. Build an outdoor obstacle course
Each of these activities are simple, fun and, most importantly, get everyone outside and active! Most kids are drawn to the outside and playing but can lose that if they are distracted by video games and tablets. If you make a promise as a family to make these small steps, everyone benefits! While you are busy being active, you can take some small steps to eat better too, like promising to drink more water each day and eat more veggies! Make it fun and bring some healthy snacks when you are on the go and then create some delicious veggie filled recipes together at the end of the day. I guarantee your kids will eat more if they are apart of making them!
Each month United HealthCare is offering new dares for you. They are all fun and simple ways to get healthy. Here are the June Dares:
1. Share a photo of your fresh veggies with the hashtag #FreshVeggies– You can share this on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram (grand prize is a Creuset French Oven)
2. Take the Health IQ (personal hygiene) Quiz (grand prize is an Apple iPad mini)
3. Make your own “Healthy Selfie” avatar by mixing and matching accessories and clothing (grand prize is a $400 gift card)
4. But like last month that’s not all… They are also giving away $25 gift cards weekly, awesome right? You have plenty of chances to win so be sure to take a few minutes and get your entries!
If you are interested in learning more a about United Health Care Dare to Share campaign, check them out online, on Facebook, twitter and Instagram! You can learn more healthy tips and tricks and create your own set of healthy dares.
So what is your family doing to stay healthy together this summer?
Disclosure: A special thank you to United HealthCare for sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own.