Coconut oil is all the rage now. It’s toted as being a new “superfood” and has a unique combination of fatty acids that can have positive effects on your health. If you google coconut oil, all sorts of health benefits come up. Research has shown that it can help keep you healthier and stave off sickness, it can help give you more energy and possibly help you burn more fat (yes please!), it can help rehydrate your cells after a major workout, it can help improve your memory and attention and, in addition, has numerous skin benefits. Coconut oil is new to me and has been something I have been wanting to try out, hence this post! This post is as much for me as it is for you- I wanted to find some unique uses for coconut oil and try and incorporate it into some of my daily routines and see if there is any difference. I’ll keep you updated if there is (or isn’t).
One brand that seems to be at the top of the coconut oil food chain is Skinny Coconut Oil. Skinny Coconut Oil has a special heating process that helps to retain more of it’s natural health benefits and is 100% Raw coconut oil and contains the oil from 12 coconuts in each large bottle! Skinny Coconut Oil is made in small batches and is extra virgin, cold pressed which is made with nothing but 100% pure, raw, pesticide free, wild coconuts.
So according to my research, here are 5 unique ways I’ll be trying to incorporate coconut oil into my daily routine:
1. Pre-workout smoothies: According to research, coconut oil is full of special saturated fats called medium chain fatty acids (MCFA), which are identical to the ones found in human breast milk (and we all know how beneficial THAT is!) These special fatty acids have been shown to stimulate the metabolism, improve digestion, strengthen the immune system, and protect against bacterial, viral, and fungal infections as well as protect the heart and arteries from the conditions that cause heart disease. The first part is what intrigues me- increase metabolism. My metabolism is shot and I could use all of the energy I can get. So, I plan on testing out this by making myself a pre-workout tropical smoothie. Here’s a few a found that look yummy!
Berry Coconut Smoothie
1 tbsp. raw virgin #coconut oil
1 cup strawberries (or a mix of strawberries and raspberries or blueberries)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk, vanilla flavored
5 ice cubes
Optional as a meal shake: add in 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder
Coconut Kale Smoothie Smoothie
1 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk or almond milk (or you can use water)
1 cup of kale
1 cup of spinach
½ frozen banana
¼ cup frozen blueberries
1-2 tbsp. raw virgin #coconut oil
Dash of cinnamon-optional
5 ice cubes
Coconut Banana Berry Smoothie
1 cup almond or coconut milk (water works too)
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
1 fresh or frozen banana
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 tablespoon honey
2. Swap out my eye make up remover and switch to coconut oil. My friend Chastity over at My Rays of Sunshine shared how she removes her eye makeup and I love her plan- I can’t claim to take credit for it, so pop on over to her blog and read all about it here!
3. Boost my energy: Supposedly taking a spoonful a day can not only increase you energy but also your brain power- and as a mom of three, who is always tired, this sounds great! I’ll try it and see how it goes.
4. Heal Dry Skin Naturally: Coconut is well known in the beauty world for it’s nourishing abilities, so why not use it as a spot treatment? Rubbing it on a dry patches on your heels, chapped lips or rashes on my kids can do wonders in healing these areas naturally. Sounds simple too, which is always a good thing!
5. Cellulite removal: What the what?!? Not sure if this works, but I’m not to try it! Apparently, when used consistently on skin coconut oil can help get rid of cellulite, especially if you combine it with dry brushing. What is dry brushing? It is essentially what it sounds like: brushing your skin with a social brush, which is toted as doing some pretty amazing things such as helping to increase circulation, removing dead skin & impurities, increasing muscle tone, aiding in reducing cellulite and stretch marks, and helping to prevent premature aging- ummmmmm yea, count me in. Daily Mom did an awesome article on dry brushing recently, check it out for more info on that. With the coconut oil, you are suppose to rub it on your thighs and then use the special dry brush and rub in an upward motion for 10 minutes a day. 10 minutes sounds like a lot, and it really is!, but I think that if it worked, I could be convinced to do it on a daily basis for sure!
So, do you use coconut oil in your life? Please share some ways you incorporate it! I want to learn more about this seemingly amazing product to try and all of it’s uses.
Disclosure: I received a sample of Skinny Coconut oil to try on my own, all opinions are my own.