Summer time is a great time to clear out some old junk and make way for new things. Recently I’ve shared some things to ditch from your closet, kid’s rooms and the general house area. This time, we are tackling the garage- an area that really needs some love in my house! I need to add some better organizational solutions in there for all of the sports gear and kid stuff, but before I do that, I first have to be out with the old. I’ve complied a list of 13 items to ditch from your garage now, so that you can better see what you DO have, and then work on organizing it.
Now, again, remember when I say “ditch”, that doens’t necessarily mean actually in the trash can. If something is broken or just way too old, then yes, ditch it! If something can be reused then, consider donating to charities, your local church or to a friend that may need it first. Having a yard sale and getting some extra cash can be good too, and the perfect way to save up some extra cash for that vacation fund, but with this list, it’s definitely more likely these items just need to get thrown away.
- Old newspapers, magazines, or paper.
- Broken tools- toss. Duplicate tools- donate!
- Old electronics that you don’t use anymore or are too outdated.
- Old paint cans (look into the proper way to dispose of these!)
- Old planter containers.
- Broken or very worn sports equipment- definitely donate if they are in ok shape!
- Old baby gear if you are done with the baby stage
- Unused decor
- Broken furniture
- Random scraps of stuff- pieces of wood, wire, rope- if you haven’t used it in a year, you probably never will!
- Broken or old beach toys or sandbox stuff
- Partially completed DIY projects
- Old seasonal stuff that you don’t need anymore
The garage is often one of our messiest rooms since it’s harder to organize but gets so much use. By going through what you do have and tossing or donating them, you will be left with more space to organize what you do use.